Reading Notes: 7 Secrets of the Goddess D

7 Secrets of the Goddess: Gauri's Secret by Devdutt Patanaik

This should be my last reading notes post of the semester, which is exciting for me! On this section, we get to meet a new goddess and learn more history. Kali was wild and free. Gaia was almost completely opposite. They both made men anxious! I think the theming of the book/video is unique for this topic. It truly never ceases to surprise me when all of the cultures link back to one or similarities are found between them all. 

I found it amusing how both negative and positive thoughts are ascribed to demons and gods. The concepts of asuras and devas are also interesting. Though these associations are incorrect, I can see how they have been associated with one or the other. I also find it interesting because the gods never were "pure" or entirely "good" so it is funny to me. Our concept of a god is one that is aligned with devas, which makes sense in all religions.

The goddess being nature that is everywhere and also the enlightened mind seem to go together to me. If you are nature and are everywhere, I can see how she could also be an enlightened mind. Yoga-nida and Yoga-maya are quite neat. I've never heard of them before. it's fun how she exists as opposing forces, thought they sort of are the same thing? All kinds of reality? This chapter and the explanation behind create, sustain, and destroy are kind of difficult to grasp, but I do get the reference to perceived reality and not nature as nature is regulated in karmic laws.

There was a story about Parvati that I liked in regards to her autonomy. Because she had made the child by herself, she didn't need Shiva, but he needed her. Gauri sitting by Shiva instead of acting as Kali is so cool! The way the stories are told in art is so beautiful.

Gauri (Source)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer