Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic


As someone who writes frequently, I find it difficult to write about myself, but I will do my best! My name is pronounced like ‘Riley’ and I’m a criminology major. My most frequently asked question is, “Do you want to be a cop?” Nope! Having studied the criminal justice system so intensely, I’ve decided I’d rather not have a career in it. I’d rather teach or do social work. I’d also be fine doing independent studies of some sort. I love sociology. I think it’s so, so important in today’s political climate that we tackle social problems with care.

As much as I love talking about my major, it can be a tad heavy at times. When I’m not trying to save the world, I like to research people. My two favorites happen to be similar in many respects, Dolly Parton and Billy the Kid, western icons. Dolly and I share the same birthday and I feel we are linked somehow because of this. Coming from poverty and being able to create such an empire for herself, I just think she’s remarkable. That’s not even mentioning her prowess as a songwriter. Legend has it that she wrote “Jolene” and “I Will Always Love You” on the same day. I just think she’s a neat lady! Anyone who was able to turn down Elvis Presley for a song request is cool in my book. I think country music gets a bad reputation for always talking about beer and tractors, but Dolly doesn’t! Listen to artists like Dolly and Emmylou Harris and tell me all country is bad. She’s a storyteller!

My other favorite, outlaw, Henry McCarty, alias Billy the Kid, there’s much less information to go off of. I think it’s interesting that the narrative we’ve constructed for him was not built upon how he was as a person. Many historians believe him to be kindhearted, a local favorite, a popular amongst ladies. Others see him as a murderer, something that he definitely was. We only have a few photographs of him to begin with, constructing his entire personality and characteristics remain difficult to pinpoint. Outlaw culture around the time he was still kicking (roughly the 1850s-1890s) built this untouchable persona for him that was what they needed then. They needed entertainment, a hero. No matter how many books or documentaries I read, I won’t get the entire picture, which is okay. I’m just happy to be able to study the phenomenon that is the American outlaw.

I also enjoy history and literature in general, which is why I decided to take this course. I’ve always wanted to get into some of the epics but never had much time to go as in depth as I would’ve liked, but here I am! I find it fun to think about other people outside of myself and my reality for a little while, probably why I enjoy history as much as I do. I suppose I didn’t end up writing about myself as much, but these people are integral to me. Their stories make me happy and I will never stop talking about them! To conclude, I’m looking forward to this class. I can’t wait to learn more! 


A Young Dolly Parton (Wikimedia Commons)


Comments

  1. Riley it is a great honor to have you as my classmate I personally am a political science pre major here at OU and I plan on being a lawyer and work on some criminal law as well. I can definitely see that you are very passionate about criminology. I am a history minor and love to know more facts and study what all reasons led to the World War and world War II

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool about being connected to Dolly Parton through your birthdays, Ryeli! That is how I feel about George Harrison: I loved the Beatles ever since I was little, and so I thought it was very cool to share a birthday with George Harrison, and then when I got interested in India (Indian stories, Indian music), I felt even more connected to him; about George Harrison and India.
    And that is so true about country music and storytelling. Maybe you will try to take some of the dramatic stories from the epics and write them as lyrics for a country music song, maybe inspired by a Dolly Parton tune. That could be a great experiment!
    Your description of Billy the Kid resonates with Ravana in some ways; you'll see what I mean when you get to the Ramayana next week.
    And about sociology, I have to say: my dad is a sociologist! He retired many years ago (from Vanderbilt), but he published a book recently that he cowrote with another sociologist; he was 90 years old when this book came out, which is very impressive I think (he just had his 92nd birthday). This is the book; he says it is the best of his books, which is a good feeling to have about your last book, right? Science and Sociology ... and he is a country music fan; he would definitely approve of Dolly here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryeli! I think it's really cool that you're studying criminology. My dad has a degree in criminology, actually, and both my parents have worked in law enforcement -- my dad as a cop and my mom as a criminal prosecutor. And my dad agrees with you: he's always told me not to become a cop! It was interesting growing up and discussing these delicate social, political, and economic issues surrounding crime at the dinner table, since both of my parents encountered these issues every day at work. Still today, when I talk to my parents about issues surrounding criminal justice, I get very different perspectives (and political views) from each of my parents. I absolutely agree with you, that social problems require a social approach. I hope you really enjoy criminology and whatever career path that takes you down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ryeli!
    I loved reading your blog post. I too find it difficult to talk solely about myself, but I feel like I got to know you based on your two icons mentioned. I am a psychology major so I understand your love and interest in studying people. Sociology was one of my favorite courses because I find it very interesting to learn about out society and why we behave like we do with each other. I also think, just as you mentioned, social problems are incredibly important to understand and conceptualize so we are able to work more efficiently as a society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ryeli (Dolly Parton Fanatic). I find it interesting how you majored in something and have planned not to use it. I find myself in the same category with a soon to be degree in Russian and nursing, having no plans of working in Russia as a nurse. I love your fascination with the west! I love western movies and all things western! I used to stay up at night and watch old westerns with my grandfather! I hope you get out of this course what you are hoping too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ryeli! I agree that a career as a cop would be rather challenging. I am a psychology major and took a criminal psychology class last semester and it too made me want to stay away from any career as a cop. It is a needed profession but seems too dangerous for me. I love country music and think that Dolly Parton is such a cool person. It is awesome that you two share the same birthday! I hope that you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ryeli! I found it interesting that you talked so much about people you liked. Getting philosophical, you can learn a lot about a person based off of who they like. I also really enjoy history. It's always cool/weird to think about how complex others' lives are, and history can really show it. Plus there is always a good lesson to be learned through history, and if society doesn't learn from history we will never overcome those issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Ryeli! Criminology sounds like such a fun major and I'm glad you're figuring out what you want to do with it after graduation! I love how much you love Dolly Parton too! She's an incredible artist and really a very talented women! I also think it's cool how much you know about Billy the Kid. I didn't realize there were two differing views on him and the juxtaposition is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ryeli! I get what you mean about finding it hard to talk about yourself. For me that got easier when I realized that as a sociable species, getting to know people is the spice of life! In the digital age sometimes it seems easier to connect through a screen, but engaging with others is what we as humans are all about! I think we have a lot in common, in fact. I grew up listening to country music (Shania Twain and Alan Jackson's music still take me back!) and have always had an interest in history and political science, which led me to major in Letters because it allows me to study a little bit of so many subjects. That said, given your interests I totally recommend you take a class with Professor Hines in the History department! Also, I bet you'd really enjoy nonfiction reads since it combines history with literature! I have always loved this genre because it's like personal history giving perspective on more global history in a form of literature! Everything in one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Ryeli! Criminology sounds like such an interesting major! That is so cool that you have figured out some ideas as to how you can use your degree for the career that you now want. Dolly Parton is amazing! Have you seen the movie “Dumplin” on Netflix with Jennifer Aniston? It’s about a girl who is a big fan of Dolly Parton too. It has a ton of her music throughout it! You might really like it if you haven’t seen it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ryeli!
    I think it’s great that you’re studying criminology and have no interest in being an officer. I think there are so many other useful applications to use that kind of degree for. I also find your information about Billy the Kid fascinating. I guess I haven’t ever really looked in depth to him as a person, just heard the stories like everyone else. I think that him being well-liked and a charmer is something I would never had associated with him. I also find it interesting that we will never know the whole story and that people just kind of make up what they want. Not sure how I haven’t seen your profile yet this semester, but it was nice to read about ya. Have a great end to your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Ryeli,

    It is really cool to read a small aspect of your life through this blog introduction. I have yet to come across someone who has majored in criminology. I find it interesting that you are choosing to major in criminology but do not plan on building a career out of it, which is valid.

    I personally do not listen to country music, but I admire that you have such a strong connection with Dolly Parton in regards to her music and birth date. I can relate because I listen to mostly hip-hop/r&b music, and I can connect with different artists through their music.

    I was never really previously interested in epics like you. But I took a class last semester that required me to read Dante's inferno. Through that class, I realized how fascinated I was with epics. As I have reached the near end of this semester, I can confidently say that I like reading and interpreting different cultural epics.

    I look forward to reading your finalized stories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer