WEEK 1- My Favorite Place: Disneyland During Fall


Having grown up in southern California, I was part of a privileged and enviable group: The Disneyland SoCal Discount Passholders Club. When I was living there, I was in elementary/middle school, so it was a pretty sweet deal. To this day, my favorite place is Disneyland, but only and exclusively during the autumn season as it’s better in every capacity.

Haunted Mansion: Photo by Justin Ennis

For starters, how many places can you find a giant pumpkin Mickey? Not many places. That’s one point in its favor. In addition, the land is decked out in its seasonal, festive attire, including an array of oranges, reds, and many other spooky findings. To a child and a lover of the mystical, it’s a pretty nifty place to be.


Pumpkin Mickey on Main Street: Flickr

My mom used to let me take a few “sick days” off of school to visit on the down hours when there weren’t many people there. We went on all of the rides we could manage, and I got to dress up to my little heart’s content. Though I haven’t been back in years, I think my fondness of the place speaks to the power of childhood nostalgia and its lasting impact. It reminds me of home and simpler times, magic in it of itself.


Decorations near Main Street: Flickr

While I believe Disneyland is normally overpriced and would hesitate to recommend a visit, I might suggest making the trip during the October and November months, if only to see the jack-o-lantern Mickey for oneself.

Comments

  1. YES, Ryeli, I can relate exactly to what you are saying here about Disneyland in FALL. That's how I feel about the beach too... I love the beach, but beaches are better in Fall without so many people on the beach. And I had never thought about a Disney Halloween; what fun that must be! As you'll see in the class announcements, the Fall season is full of really cool holidays in the Indian calendar also; Diwali, the festival of lights, is coming near Halloween this year: October 27! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryeli! I really loved getting to read your post because I can really relate. I lived about an hour away from Orlando growing up so I got to go to Walt Disney World a ton in elementary and middle school and there's no place like it. Another nice thing about Disney in the fall is the lines are a lot shorter. It was really nice to read your post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer