Week 11 Story: The Apex Predator Protection Agency?


Are YOU an apex predator just looking for a meal? Some respect? Some peace of mind? Tired of small animals kicking your butt all the time? Well, have I got a deal for you! If you are any kind of large predator, give us, The Apex Predator Protection Agency, a call! You might be entitled to financial compensation! You might not! You won’t know unless you give us a call at (NUMBER REDACTED)!
         We have real success here at APPA! Take a quote from “actual client,” Mr. Wolf, who got into trouble with a few otters: “Well, these otters were arguing over some fish and asked me if I would choose which piece should go to which otter. I chose for them and kept the middle of the fish for myself as compensation. I’ve got a family and myself to feed! I can’t work for free! Anyway, when the otters threatened me with a lawsuit, it shocked me, but Apex Predator Protection Agency shut it down right out of the gate! I can’t thank them enough!” Isn’t that just heartwarming?
         All those small animals ban together and cause tons of mischief. What’s next? Quails outsmarting a hunter? If you don’t give us a call, you could be worse off! Take our other “client” Mr. Wolf, (not related to the first Mr. Wolf) who was just trying to get a meal. Sure, he was in the wrong most of the time, but did Mr. Wolf deserve to be attacked for getting a meal? No! Mr. Wolf died a horrible death by rodent. If he had only called us…
         We know that you’re the strongest animals on the planet with nothing to realistically worry about, but things happen! Don’t wait until it’s too late. Give us a call! We’ll probably do our best to get you what you need!

*The Apex Predator Protection Agency are not responsible for any harm that might come after. After what? We don’t know!*


Author’s Note: I don’t know what this is. I chose to read Jataka Tales and More Jataka Tales this week and wanted to do something silly. If this is incoherent, sorry! Basically, as I was reading, I noticed that all of the larger, predatory animals were seen as “evil” or trickster characters. Mostly wolves. I get it’s an archetype thing, but they need love too! My concept was referencing a few notable ones for this… ad? I wasn’t sure how to do a solid rewrite of any of the stories, so I did this. The quails assembled but were ultimately struck down by a hunter because of fighting amongst themselves. The tricky wolf pretended to be injured but was actually picking off the rats that were left behind. The other wolf found a pair of otters fighting over which one should get the head or tail. They asked the wolf for his opinion and he answered, taking the middle as reward for solving their problem. 

A wolf lounging (Source)




Comments

  1. Hi, Ryeli! I like how you started out your story with a bunch of questions. It made me feel like I was watching an actual commercial! Is the highlight supposed to be reflective of how ads emphasize what we all want to see? If so, that’s very clever. I really appreciated your creativity in this assignment. Also, the disclaimer at the end is hilarious! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryeli!
    I thought your take on this was cute! And very different. I agree that those stories would be hard to rewrite. I had looked at them a couple times and couldn’t come up with anything. The fact that you turned this into an ad was very creative. I do have one question though…what were the yellow highlights? I thought maybe they were supposed to be like an add and how they have splashes of color on them. If this is the case, not sure it translated that way. They were a bit distracting while reading. Overall though, I think you did a good job coming up with something unique and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryeli,

    What an interesting style to portray your rendition! I absolutely enjoyed reading your story in the form of an ad. I will say, I had a hard time making out what jakata story you were basing this rendition off of, however, as I read the author's note I was intrigued to find out that you based your ad off of three different jakatas. I can not express it enough, your ad was such a creative twist to the other stories I have been reading this past semester. Great job! I look forward to reading more creative and unique pieces written by you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ryeli!
    How cool that this is written like an ad! I think that your recognition of the evil archetype of wolves is brilliant for this story. It is so clever that you combined that element from multiple stories into an ad that is relevant to all of the Jataka tales you mentioned. I laughed at both “clients” being called Mr. Wolf. I also laughed at how similar this is to TV ads that offer legal protection and financial compensation. This is such a unique and fun story and I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer