Reading Notes: PDE Mahabharata D

This is so late! Wow! better late than never right? So, for this reading, we finish the Mahabharata! We get to see the thrilling conclusion of all of the fights and struggles between the two families. I've already done the reading prior to the notes, so I already know what I'm going to do my notes on but!!! What an exciting/sad section!

Arjuna & Karna by Donald A. MacKenzie
Karna dies :( Arjuna shoots him fatally. War was being waged all around them. Karna's arrows were described as snakes, drinking blood and one of them struck Arjuna's Gandiva, which the string broke. Arjuna told him to stop because of honor or something, but Karna didn't listen and wounded Arjuna. Arjuna managed to resting his bow and was very angry when he was able to attack again. Neither side would let up. Karna was not swayed by Arjuna's intensity. Unfortunately, his chariot wheel got stuck in the ground. Karna was like, "hey don't shoot me. It's wrong to shoot someone who is weak," or something like Arjuna said to him earlier. So, yeah, Arjuna lists all of his wrongdoings and shoots him. A brother has killed his own brother. The boy is dead.

Man, this was sad. There are other tragic things that happen afterwards, but I like this chapter the best. I think there's a lot of potential for a story, though I kind of missed the window for that one. It's all dramatic and sad. I find both Arjuna and Karna compelling as characters, I find that they serve as good foils for each other. Arjuna is more stubborn and proud, I read him as almost arrogant. Karna, hero of charity, supposedly a good person, not so much a great person as he thinks he is. I like them because they do have obvious flaws. It makes reading about them more interesting. Their final battle was tragic and sad, but we knew it was going to happen one way or another. Arjuna was the fated hero at the end of the day.

We all know what's going on here :( (Source)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer