Extra Credit Reading Notes: More Jataka Tales A

Because I chose to read about Krishna last week, I didn't get to read as much as these as I would have liked, so I'm using an extra reading option to read a few more! I like these a lot. They remind me of things I read as a kid, so I find them enjoyable to read.

The Tricky Wolf and the Rats by Ellen C. Babbitt
I live the concept of a huge rat living in a forest and leading other rats. I think that's fantastic. I love rats. Truly, I do. I find the whole story quite funny. of course the wolf if a trickster, but I wonder did the rats that he caught and ate as they were leaving, have no friends or family that would notice that they were missing? Poor rats! I found that to be sad. I felt bad for them. I think it was necessary for the final scene. The big confrontation. I didn't realize how large the Chief really was. Like, it was big enough to bite and kill the wolf on the throat. That's a pretty big rat! I'm glad it had a happy ending.

The Golden Goose by Ellen C. Babbitt
I chose this one to do notes on because I liked the imagery of the piece. I picture the golden goose to be very luxurious and the entire story has room for unique visuals. This story reminds me of the old kids book "Rainbow Fish." It's been a long time since I've read it, but the fish was born with rainbow scales and he gave all of them away so his friends and family could all be happy and then he was left with none, or something to that extent. I don't think this is the same, as the secondary characters have different external driving forces, I just thought it was an interesting parallel. I'm glad the goose was magical and got away safely! Greed is a powerful motivator for some people.

The Otters and the Wolf by Ellen C. Babbitt
I guess I really liked wolf stories from this reading. I like that wolves are portrayed as clever. I think it's interesting that he took the fish as payment for solving their problems. If it was the best part of the fish, the otters should have just made up their minds! I understand it's not that simple, but then they were left with significantly less fish than normal. I liked this one purely because the visuals of two otters and a wolf arguing over a fish seems funny to me. I also like how esteemed they viewed the wolf. If they wanted more fish, it would be much easier for the otters to go get one.

Some cute rats, definitely not large enough to kill a wolf (Source)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer