Reading Notes: Jataka Tales A

The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking by Ellen C. Babbitt
I read this dialogue in the voice of an old time-y movie star. "Do take me with you." I don't know it's just funny to me. I like the turtle. Definitely relatable. I don't like how this ends at all. I mean, the poor turtle was just sticking up for itself! Yeah, it knew it would've fallen if it were to open its mouth, but whatever. The geese should have caught their friend! Did they know that the turtle had such a problem with talking? It never really said that this turtle was especially chatty. It was kind of weird to title it like that... it seems the turtle did in fact stop talking. It was in one crucial moment that it did start talking. The geese didn't seem to have a problem with it otherwise. I would have liked to maybe see the turtle be more annoying? It felt like the turtle just... fell and died out of nowhere.

The Merchant of Seri by Ellen C. Babbitt
I liked this one more than than the others I've read. I like when greedy people get schooled. It's fun. The key players here are a greedy seller and a kind seller. They are selling their wares to people of the town when the greedy seller meets an old woman who tries to exchange a golden bowl for any one of his items for her granddaughter. He tries to con her and tells her that it isn't worth anything and leaves. They then go to the kind seller and he tells them the truth of the bowl. At the end, the kind seller ends up with the golden bowl because he was honest and had a heart of... gold. Haha. The greedy man tried to stop him from leaving town, but alas, he was too late. No bowl for him!

Quarrel of the Quails by Ellen C. Babbitt
I just love quails! They're so cute. It is sad someone would want to catch and eat them! I like the idea of a sage quail leading the rest of the pack to victory over a hunter. It sounds like the plot of a Disney movie. The plan itself was way more in depth and thought out than I would have expected from a bunch of quails in a folk tale. I was impressed. It's funny that the Fowler isn't making money simply because the quails have unionized. I didn't like the ending. It would be better if they had continued to outsmart him until the end, as opposed to quarreling.

Three rain quails and one jungle bush quail, commonly found in India (Source)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer