Reading Notes: Jataka Tales B

The Elephant Girly-face by Ellen C. Babbitt
I'm not sure what I thought the story was going to be about based on the title, but it was not this. What an odd name... Like yeah, I guess I get it, girls are kind and lovely like this elephant. I have many questions. Did the elephant want to be a thief? Is that why he was like 'yeah, I will be awful now for no reason'? Maybe Girly-face wanted to live a life of crime, understandable. Why was this elephant so easily swayed to the path of violence? I do not understand the moral of this story. Is there supposed to be one? I'm glad it all worked out, but this elephant does not understand the meaning behind its actions and is clearly not learning anything. Who is to say more burglars don't come along and say things like that again to Girly-face?

The Ox Who Envied the Pig by Ellen C. Babbitt
I immediately like that the oxen have names. Big and Little Red. I'm not entirely sure who I would rather be. Of course I would like to live as long as possible, but it might grow tiresome to work hard and eat the same thing everyday. I can see merits on both sides, though I am leaning towards the ox. I liked how short this one was. I would have liked it more of the oxen bros would have gotten to watch the pig more and maybe talk to it. It just seemed a little bit flat. I did like it thought. I think that this one had the most clear moral point to me. I'm still unsure if these are supposed to have morals. I feel like they do have one for the most part. I might just not be understanding the story well enough to get them.

Why the Owl Is Not King of the Birds by Ellen C. Babbitt
I really like this title. It made me want to know why the owl is not king of the birds. I like the setup for the bird rivalry. I think that all birds should be friends, but if any of them should have beef, it makes sense that owls and crows would not get along. It is so rude that the owl was not king simply because of their face. They don't look sour! I do think that story is funny though. There's a lot of room for dialogue between the two rival factions. I wouldn't have guessed the turtle dove would be king, but ain't that just the way. I like the way this story was approached. It was very simple, but the structure stuck out to me for some reason. I liked the dialogue that it did include as well.

European eagle owl being photogenic (Source)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer