Reading Notes: 7 Secrets of the Goddess A

Gaia's Secret 1-2 by Devdutt Pattanaik

Wow, immediately the first few lines are so strong. Women are often brushed to the side both in fiction and in legends. Deities were especially disregarded, as mentioned in the video, if they were female, despite being met with initial love and adoration. I find it interesting how this series mentions legends of other gods and goddesses from different locations outside of India. It really drives home the title of the chapter "Male Anxiety is Outdated."

I like the addition of history in the story. It's lengthy, but useful and in depth. It's helpful to get a good image of the topic in a worldwide sense. They mention swayamvaras and I found that interesting. The man had no choice but to accept the woman and it was done so she could get the best husband. I found the mention of Aphrodite and Adonis neat. Again, I like the mention of other gods and goddesses. It makes the topic more universal. It really is... something... how we have moved away from a matriarchal society to patriarchal. I'm not sure what word I'm looking for there.

I had no idea about the meaning change with 'virgin' and 'whore.' I don't really believe either word carries any particular negative or positive connotation, I just don't care, but many people do see purity as something that is important. For what? It makes sense that over time someone's desirability would be seen as someone who is bound to a man. I have so many things to say about this, but I won't.

The rejection of women offered physical strength. Ah! I remember Samson and Delilah so often when I think about women and sexuality being seen as "evil." It's really such an old concept that men are supposed to reject the advances of seductress women and therefore gain strength. We see that a lot as a theme in movies and other kinds of pop culture.

I'm really not sure what story I could do with this story-wise, but it was super interesting!

Aphrodite and Adonis (Source)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer