Week 14 Lab: TED Talks w/ Scott Barry Kaufman & Nina Paley

A New Theory of Human Intelligence by Scott Barry Kaufman

This was such an interesting video to watch! I've never really liked standardized or IQ tests, so this take is especially nice to hear. I find that people are worth more than a test score and are more valuable than just a number. Some people test poorly and are going to test poorly no matter what. Does this make them less intelligent? Absolutely not. I don't think measuring intelligence in the form of tests is a great idea. I agree that it should take into account the child's goals and passions. That leads them to have better engagement and will connect better to the material they're learning.

Copyright is Brain Damage by Nina Paley

It's really cool to hear how she went about creating "Sita Sings the Blues" because I watched it for reading notes one week. I remember being amazed that she had created such a beautiful movie and that it was also free to watch! Seeing this video, I can understand her thoughts behind it. I've never really grasped the purpose of copyright. I understand its purpose obviously, but I'm with Nina Paley on this one. It stifles creativity. I hear a lot from people who are active on youtube that they can't use music because it's copyrighted or they can't use a clip from a movie for the same reason. If the property is transformative, I don't see the point. It all just seems like greed. Retroactive copyright laws make even less sense. I'm glad to see Nina sticking up for creators!

I found both of these videos to be pretty dissimilar, but I do think that they were sticking up for a lesser known cause. I think they were both incredibly inspiring to watch. It's amazing that we have access to so much information at once. I appreciate the work that they're both doing and I hope to see more from them in the future!

A picture from "Sita Sings the Blues" (Source)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer