Week 6 Story Lab: TV Tropes

Gonna use this time to do some character research for my storybook! It might be nice to find some ideas and have them laid out so I can have an idea of the way I'm going to portray each of them for the sake of consistency!

Shiva- Our "detective." There to keep the meandering bow on target. He's a god, so he's pretty powerful, obviously. My intro characterized him as fairly sarcastic and ill-tempered. Everything I've read about Shiva and the gods in general, lead to this characterization as well, so I don't think it's too off the mark. He has his moments of sincerity, though mostly I'd like him to be sarcastic and irritated because it works well with the energy that Pinaka puts out. We love a comedic duo. 

Deadpan Snarker- I like that for him. He's sassy.

Angry Dance- Rudra Tandava... probably shouldn't make him too mad. 

Pinaka- The broken bow, kind of ditsy, but well-meaning. It is very much an opposite to Shiva. They don't get along very well, but Pinaka doesn't necessarily seem to notice or mind. Because the story focuses on Pinaka's growth, I don't want to put too many traits on it initially, so I have room to expand, but we'll see. Kindhearted and genuinely pure of heart. 

Sacred Bow- Pinaka is an example of this. It is a divine weapon used by Shiva. Pretty cool. 

Bunny Ears Lawyer- Pinaka is kind of eccentric in some areas,  but is unquestionably good at what it does. Pinaka is a divine weapon afterall, they have to be good enough for Shiva to see something in it. Though they're strange, no one really doubts Pinaka, which is why Shiva is confused that it broke in the first place. 

Sita- Princess, goddess, strong girl, mother, what can't she do? 

Pint-Sized Powerhouse- Sita, as a small child, lifting Pinaka. She's very strong in many ways!

Rama- He's Rama. We all know who he is. I think I'll make him nicer in this adaptation because I really, really wound up not liking him in the original, especially towards the ending. I think some key traits that I did like about him initially were that he loves his wife and he was a good person. I'd like to make him a bit more bratty, so he's more interesting than just a piece of cardboard who sets his wife on fire. 

Prince Charming- What else is there to say about this? I feel like in the scenes I'm looking at, when Rama breaks the bow and wins Sita's hand in marriage, he definitely fits this. I'd like to play up their romance possibly. 

Archer Archetype- Rama definitely fits this, but I think he's more virtuous then these types tend to be, though I think I like working with this better.

Statute of Shiva, just sittin' (Wikimedia Commons)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer