Week 4 Lab: Adventures in Writing Advice

Writing can be hard sometimes. It's nice to know that there are places to turn to for free advice! Jon Winokur's website, Advice to Writers, offers a helpful space filled with tips and tricks in the form of quotes that other writers have about overcoming their own writing weaknesses. I found the interview section to be the most helpful to myself. It goes more in depth with the writer and is able to more fully process what they're talking about.

Mercedes Lackey
I resonated with this interview a lot. I love storytelling, a common theme amongst most of the interviewees. Mercedes made up stories whenever she could, just for fun. Being creatively inspired at such a young age reminds me of myself. What I liked most about this interview was Mercedes' response to writer's block. She doesn't believe in writer's block, it's simply your brain telling you that your story direction wasn't meant to be and that it might be time to change it up! I think this is useful because it's easy to fall into the trap of just sitting and waiting for inspiration to strike when you could just change around your vision. Writing doesn't have to be set in stone, the best ideas change around frequently.

Rachel Munroe
Rachel's best piece of writing advice received was great! I think it's great to pick apart grammar. I struggle with being clear and precise sometimes. I like saying every word that comes to mind, not caring about whether it sounds good or not. Grammar is obviously important in writing,  but dare I say, it's overlooked. Constructing good sentences will help with your own writing. This helps to know how how bad sentences are formed and how you can avoid making bad sentences yourself. Her advice was a much needed reminder. It can be dull at times, but it's necessary.

Eugenia Kim
I liked her comment about finding writing time. She said that she wasn't too disciplined but was able to find time here and there to write. I think that's applicable in many of our lives. It's always busy, life is busy, but finding a little bit of time is important too. It keeps us going, well, it keeps me going. I like trying to find time when I can to write between classes or at work when it isn't as busy. Just when I can. Then there's less stress to push myself to be writing as well.

I think this was all great advice and I hope to apply it in the very near future! :)

A Pretty Fountain Pen! (Wikimedia Commons)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer