Ramayana Reading: Week 5 B

Here's to the last portion of the film! Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley

The song following the intermission was so cool! It was also a new animation style that we haven't seen in this film. It's great that there is a mixture of more to be expected Indian music. It's a nice blend of all of these amazing styles.

I found this interpretation of how Rama treated Sita when he felt her to be impure to be sort of how I felt too. I got the impression that the filmmaker didn't see the justification in it either. In the song, Sita herself didn't see the reason for getting treated like that. She didn't do anything to warrant that kind of behavior from him.

When Sita is banished to the forest, she is pregnant. The poor girl! That's where we really start to see the parallels between Nina and Sita's lives. I like that this film is telling a breakup story. I've always seen it as a love story and I've always seen people talk about them like they're in love, but the way this portrays them is kind of sad. I like the focus on Sita. This was one of my main complaints about the original! I like multiple perspectives, so this is nice.

Rama's focus on virtue is interesting because when you break it down, he isn't that great. I think perhaps culturally and at the time, his actions were justified, but the love of his wife never came first. He claimed to love her but he was always casting her out. For a story that focuses on virtues, I've always been bothered by the lack of display seen in Rama. They do tell us that he is virtuous, but I have never seen him be virtuous in a way that is impactful. I disliked that she constantly had to prove herself worthy of him.

This was a great film and offered many new ways to view the characters! I'm glad I got to see it.

Sita "Contaminated"(Wikimedia Commons)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer