Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana D

This is the final stretch! I'm both excited and sad to be finishing the Ramayana, but I'm also ready to move onto our next epic! In my opinion, this section was the most fun to read, but writing will be difficult. I'm not sure how to do these amazing stories justice!

Based on Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. MacKenzie
I really liked the imagery this selection this provided. It portrayed Kumbhakarna as a fierce enemy, vicious, large, and mean. He seems like he'd pose a good threat to Rama (though we know Rama could never lose this soon.) I liked how he questioned being woken up too soon and how he began looking for his meal. I think all of the character's witnessing this happening would be shocked and overwhelmed. It's quite a lot to take in! 

Based on Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists: Ramayana by Sister Nivedita
Okay... they get back together and this is what happens. I am so mad haha! Rama insulting Sita after everything she went through... okay. Like I can tell that he loves her and she obviously has waited so, so long to see him again, and he besmirches her honor? He basically is saying that he can't have her because she has already lived in another man's home, even though she was... kidnapped and didn't consent to anything that happened to her. Hmm... I suppose I understand it in terms of 'this is an ancient epic' but I am not a fan of this one! 

Based on Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists: Ramayana by Sister Nivedita
 The bittersweet conclusion to this tale. Rama has been on earth a long time now and he is met with the decision to leave and become Vishnu or stay behind. He chooses to follow the path of Vishnu. Hanuman gets to live forever, I think that's what it said. Rama gets things in order before departure, he's responsible after all, and takes off. He enters heaven in his original form and his brothers are there waiting for him. All of the gods have returned. I'm sad to see him go, but I suppose it was time. 

Battle at Lanka (Wikipedia)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Dolly Parton Fanatic

Week 9 Story: The Best Archer